Sunday, February 19, 2012

First tour of Sydney

So after the opera house, I decided that I wanted a tour of a city. My original plan was to get a pass for those double decker sight seeing busses and spend all day getting the feel for the city from the top of a bus. Plus doing so would make me feel extra touristy. When I got back to the hostel, I proptly realized that junk was for chumps. Savvy people go on the free tour of Sydney! That's right people, in Sydney, where everything is expensive to the point of ridiculousness, there lies a small glimmer of thriftiness for cheap bastards such as myself. It is called I'm Free tours and you need to check them out if you ever go to Sydney. Started by a couple who really like their city, they will show you around the city AND give you a free map full of information on where to get more free/cheap things! These people are great. So what did they show me? 

Well, here was the gathering point. Town Hall.

And there is Justine. One half of the founders of  I'm Free tours. She will pop up in quite a few of these pictures.

Here was this statue of Queen Victoria. It actually came from Ireland. 

And here is a talking dog. But it only talks if you give it money. 

This was inside the Queen Victoria building. It was sooo fancy.

And the Christmas tree was huge. I mean, seriously, look at that thing. You can't even see the whole thing.

There is St. Mary's Cathedral. You can't take pictures inside, but I will have you know that it is absolutely beautiful inside.

Some sort of barracks. I kinda zoned off here. Can't quite remember why it was important.

Here is a boar. It brings you luck if you rub its snout.

Occupy Sydney! Become a tourist attraction!

There is the crest of Australia. Not only do Australians have two national animals, but they are the only people in the world to eat both their national animals. Bet you did not know that.

Guitar man doing his thing.

The anchor from the first ship. It's still there.

Art!

And there was a small model of the city in Customs House. 

And to end it, an obligatory picture of the Opera House

No comments: