Friday, October 21, 2011

"So we are having a debate contest, and you will be an adjudicator."

To which I wanted to respond: "woah woah woah man, I don't know jack squat about debate. . . and the hell is an adjudicator? Why you be pulling them big words on me man?" But I did not, because that would have been rude. So I just told my counterpart that I did not feel comfortable with that because I had no clue what debate was. Then he responds with: "that's alright, I will give you this handbook." It was as if he knew how I was going to respond long before I actually did, because the handbook started out with something along the lines of: "so you want to know what debate is."

Well played Mr. Counterpart. Well played.

Anyways, that was how I was informed about the debate contest that lasted the last two days. So I read the handbook and learned about motions and points of information and time keeping and all sorts of debate-y things like that. Next thing I know, I'm at practices helping kids out, giving them pointers and how to be more composed while speaking, training them to coming up with instant rebuttals on the spot for what ever might get thrown at them, discussing ways to tear down arguments from opponents. I went from being scared of debate to an active part of the team in a matter of moments. Shoot, I was so attached to the team that if the rules allowed, I wanted to be in the debater's chairs with them. (Man, I would have shown this town how to rip an argument to shreds)

If only my counterpart had pulled that line on me earlier. I could have done so much more with these kids. The biggest thing that I managed to help them with was speaking more slowly. When I first met them, they were speaking as if they would die the second they paused for air. They were speaking way way faster than they were comfortable with, and this resulted in "ummms" every other word or so. I made a point to demonstrate to them how taking a pause is much better than saying "ummmm," to comedic effect.

During the debate, I was being all adjudicator-y. I liked how they gave the time keepers rocks to bang the table with at prescribed intervals. It was supposed to help the kids keep track of their speaking time, but the only thing it did was completely rattle the already nervous kids.

My school sent two teams, and the A team won the whole thing! I was so proud. Especially when they used points I had suggested to them and what not. I was like: "that's my team! *sniff* That's my team!" The B team made it all the way to the semi-finals, but when it came time for their decision, the judges, I mean, adjudicators (see, I can use the word in a sentence now!) took for freakin' ever, then decided that the other team won by one point. This was totally sketch yo. I was suspicious. I mean, it could have been an all SMA 1 Polewali finals, but some one did not like the idea.

. . .and that just goes to show you how attached to the team I've become.


No comments: