Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today is Idul Fitri. . . kinda

So it was suposed to be Idul Fitri. My orientation schedule said that it was Idul Fitri, and even gave me a day off because of it. Every one told me it was going to be Idul Fitri. I was all jazzed up about it being Idul Fitri, but alas, it is not Idul Fitri. . .yet.

So as I understand it, last night, minutes away till the big day, someone looked up at the moon and came to the realization that it was a little bit off. Hurriedly, he/she ran to. . . I don't know, someplace where people are in charge of this kind of thing. With much commotion and urgency, everyone pulled out their calendars and started crunching numbers. In the end, they concluded somewhere down the line someone was off, and the big day had to be pushed back.

Now everyone tells me that Idul Fitri getting pushed back a day is no big deal. I personally would have assumed it to be a really big deal. I mean, it's the night before the end of fasting, everyone has cooked lavish meals and is getting ready for the big day and then out of nowhere: "you guys have one more day." This is kinda like a coxswain screaming: "final stretch boys, empty those tanks!" after having previously screamed: "final stretch boys, empty those tanks!" a good while before that.

But the Indonesians are taking this in stride, and this had made me realize that perhaps this really is not that big of a deal and that life is too short to be getting mad over things. And perhaps now I will be well on my way to being chill like them. After all, I never once reached over and shoved a coxswain out of a boat.

No comments: