Saturday, December 10, 2011

My old computer

Well, it is has finally happened. My trusty Macbook which has been with me for the past 6 years has decided to call it a day. I still remember the day I got that Macbook too. After talking with a financial aid office somewhere, it became clear that I would be able to afford a laptop for myself. Something that I had always wanted. A laptop of my own. A good one mind you, not some old second hand thing that could not even run SNES emulators. So I went with a Mac because I had spent the last two years of my life being on staff for my high school paper. That newsroom turned me from devout Windows loyalist to an Apple fanboy and therefore it was time to pay tribute and become one of those Apple toting hipsters. (this was waaaaay before every idiot in college decided to go Mac)

I remember placing my order and spending the week (I did not buy stock, so it took a while longer) obsessively refreshing the shipping status page. I got all giddy when I watched my soon to be Macbook "travel through time" as it went from China to America. The expected delivery date was set for December 16th, and a lamented how I would have to wait until the day after my birthday to play with my new toy, and yet, when I woke up on my birthday to (once again) check the shipping status page, I damn near screamed as my eyes were met with the words:

"Location: Lawrenceville. Status: In transit for delivery"

I spent the next three hours waiting by the door. Then I thanked the UPS man for getting my stuff to me a day early. He probably had no idea what the idiot with horrible hair (I was growing it out for locks of love back then) was bumbling about, or why said idiot just snatched the package out of his hands while shaking uncontrollably. After I slammed the door shut (out of enthusiasm mind you), I sat down and very quickly (but very carefully) opened the box, plugged it in, and pressed the power button.

"Bong"

I will never forget that sound.

Then when my Mom got back from work I immediately took the car and went straight for the library, as this was the only place that I knew of that had wifi at the time. Then I started to panic when my laptop would not connect to the Internet. I immediately drove to Circuit City (yeah, those were still around back then) to have a word with the Apple representative there. That is where I learned Macs don't always get along with other technology and that many wifi routers (at the time) were not set to work with Macs as Apple products were so rarely seen.

Oh how times have changed.

Anyways, I could go on and on with stories about my old computer. I loved it and it was a huge part of my life, but when the time comes, the time comes. I took it to a shop, asked for a tiny screwdriver, and extracted the hard drive and got an external case for it. I'm sure someone in the future is going to wonder why the hell do I bother with a tiny 120gb external, and the answer will be simple:

We Apple hipsters were never ones for practicality.


No comments: