Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Field trip

Golly, it has been a long time since I have been on one of these things, and yet even with time and distance, all the set pieces are still there. The beat up bus, the friendly bus driver, the packed lunches, the bumpy ride, the complaining on the hikes, the excessive happiness on the bus. . . but I will say this. I don't remember this much raunchy techno music from back in my day. Man, you should have heard some of this stuff.

First we went to this monument. It was this huge statue of a arm holding a rock. The rock was the symbol chosen by the monarchs of the region as a sign of their unity against the evil Dutch oppressors who were totally evil. And the actual rock itself is housed under this giant statue of a arm holding a rock. It is about the size of watermelon. Now if you are asking "why would a bunch of kings pick a watermelon sized rock of all things to symbolize unity in the face of tyranny?" Well, let me tell you. . . that I'm just as lost on this as you are. I mean, seriously, it is probably the least inspiring rock I have ever seen, and you are telling me that this is the best 14 kings could come up with?











Then we went to this museum. The was a collection of some money from around the world. A currency of note was this 50 dollar bill that featured a grinning Abraham Lincoln in aviators. Now there is a country that knows what to put on their money. I should move there. There was also this huge preserved snake on display. It was, like, 7 meters long, and the curator was telling me that it was originally around 10 meters but part of its tail was missing when they killed it. The coolest fact about this snake? It was killed in 2010. Yeah, food for thought.

I did not take any pictures in the museum. Sorry :(  

Finally we went the grave of the first king in the region. It is on top of this really really big hill. On top of the hill is one of the prettiest views ever.

 At the site of the grave is a really big tree. It was a pretty neat place, but after 10 minutes I wanted to leave, but nooooo, the teacher giving the tour had to give a half hour talk about the history of the place. So me and the students spend that time getting bit by all manner of mosquito while doing our best to stay clear of all the huge millipedes that roamed the site. Good times.
Then there was more raunchy techno music on the way home. The perfect way to end such a day.

(miscellaneous pictures bellow)


















No comments: